A Night at the Unmarked Graves

Posted on August 20, 2010

While growing up in Richwood, West Virginia, I had always heard locals tales of the paranormal. There was a couple of friends of mine who had been visited by a Sasquatch type creature in the Cranberry back country. There was the tale of the nearby Braxton County Green Monster. Ghosts stories too many to count were told in every hollow in the hills. Of coarse no West Virginia native has gone without hearing a tale or two of the Moth Man. However, I never would have expected that I would have my own run in with any such phenomena.

The first part of my story, which at the time I didn�t even realize was part of any story at all, goes all the way back to high school. It was the fall of 1991. My high school sweat heart and I were parked on top of Fork Mountain, just outside of Richwood, to, um, �watch a meteorite shower.� Yeah, that is what we were doing.

We had found a very secluded location on top of the hill, surely not to be disturbed by anyone. We killed the ignition to my father�s truck and started� �watching the night sky.�

Within minutes, a very eerie feeling came over both of us. I clicked on the head lights, feeling as if something, or some one was watching us. There was no one there. I killed the lights and we� �went back to where we had left off.�

Only a moment later that same feeling returned and I clicked on the lights again. This time as well, there was no one there.

�Let�s get out of here,� my girl friend said.

�Good idea,� I concurred. We headed off of the mountain never to return to that particular spot.

Two years later, while deer hunting in the same location with my father, he wanted to show me something he had found in the woods several months before. I followed him off of the trail, only a few yards into the woods, and could not believe what I saw. There were at least eight unmarked graves.

The earth was sunken in where each grave was located. They were about six feet long and two feet wide. There were triangular shaped stones at both the head and feet of the graves. They were facing east to west, proper burial fashion.

My father, as well as the old man who owned the land, well into his eighties now, if not nineties, had no information on the graves. Who was buried there? How long had they been there? Did anyone know? After years of research, to include talking to many of the local old timers, in their nineties themselves, nothing has turned up.

All these years later, nearly twenty to be exact, the mystery still haunts me. One night on a recent trip to visit my home town, I decided I would spend the night, camping by the graves. I have always been curious about the paranormal, though, other than that night of parking with my high school sweet heart, I had never had an experience with it.

On this night, I got to the top of the mountain about two hours before dark. An Airborne Infantryman in the Army National Guard, I had packed my ruck sack with all that I would need and hiked up the hill, about three miles above my parent�s house. And the hill is straight up!

After reaching the location, I took my time setting up a proper, Army� bivouac site. I had taken only a mosquito net instead of a tent (the more you carry, the more it weighs). I had with me as well my Army sleeping bag and enough food and water to last for the night and the next day.

I carefully cut poles from which to hang my net, using my Leathermen Wave multi-tool. I made sure that everything was perfect, right down to my small camp fire ring constructed of large sand stones. It was such a picture perfect site, having taken more than an hour to construct, that I pulled out my digital camera and began taking pictures.

While reviewing the pictures of the campsite, I noticed that a couple of them appeared to have orbs in them. (Photographs to be submitted along with this article). Convinced it was nothing more than smoke or ash rising from my small camp fire, I thought nothing of it. I then made my way to the graves, thirty yards above me, and began taking pictures as well. One of these pictures also came out with a perfectly formed orb just above one of the graves. There was no smoke from the fire here. As the rest of the picture revealed, there was no rain or other form of moisture in the air. This made me curious and a bit nervous.

After heating up and eating a can of Chef Boyardee Ravioli just as it was turning dark, I made my way into my mosquito net. I stripped down, got into my sleeping bag and began listening to the sounds of the night. The tree frogs were so loud I wondered if I would ever be able to get to sleep.

Five minutes later, the tree frogs stopped chirping. My fire that had been burning brightly went out. I had thrown a log on it before retreating to my mosquito net that should have burned for a couple of hours. The fire was gone.

I then heard what sounded like a dog whining, coming from the graves. As I listened, I thought that it also resembled the sound of a child crying. I quickly grabbed my flashlight, turned in on, and shined it toward the graves. However, the light did nothing more than reflect off of my net, blinding me.

As I was trying to see past my light�s glare, something, a rock perhaps, came whizzing in my direction from the site of the graves.

�Screw this!� I said. I began getting dressed. I jumped out of the net and poured the rest of my water on the hot coals where the fire had been and began taking down my net. What took more than an hour to set up, was taken down and packed in my sack in only five minutes.

Just as I zipped the zipper on the small pocket I put my final item in, my camera, another object came flying in my direction from the graves. My fire now burst into brilliant flames. I put my back pack on, stomped out the fire, and began heading off of the mountain, armed only with my flashlight.

At one point, just a little bit down the trail, it felt as if an over hanging limb caught my back pack. I jerked hard, leaning forward, and almost fell down. I looked back with my light and saw that there was no limb or other obstruction there. The trail was completely clear.

I made it home at eleven o�clock, to the laughter of my mother who had left the front door unlocked.

The next day I told my father and several friends about the experience. My father took my nephews hiking up there a couple days later. When they returned, my father told me they had found a s�ance ring in the woods below were I had camped. It was a flat rock, circled with coins that had obviously been there quite a while. He knew what it was because he had found one years ago on the mountain behind the Cranberry Wilderness Visitor�s center. That particular ring had been lined with candy, feathers AND coins. He had reported it to a local Forest Service employee who explained to him what it was. Evidently, they are common in these old, West Virginia hills from where people go out from time to time and try to communicate with spirits.

Thinking my father was trying to play a trick on me, I went back up the next day, leaving in time to be out of the woods before dark, and indeed found the ring myself. It was not a trick. It was obvious that the coins had been there for years. They were so weathered that I could only make out the date on one of them, the fifth coin I attempted, a penny dated 1985. To make this tale even creepier, the site of the ring is where it felt as if something had grabbed me from behind.

I�ve mountain biked and hiked on top of Fork Mountain several times since this most recent event. I�ve listened to the owls at dusk, seen many deer and bear, but I have always made sure to get out of the woods before dark. I have fought terrorists in Iraq, jumped out of planes and been to many places in third world countries were few �white� people go. However, I have never felt fear like I felt that night I attempted to camp by the unmarked graves.

Sent in by Kevin E Lake, Copyright 2010

More Ghost Stories and the Paranormal

Image of Coast To Coast Ghosts: True Stories of Hauntings Across America

Coast To Coast Ghosts: True Stories of Hauntings Across America

Image of Wait Till Helen Comes: A Ghost Story

Wait Till Helen Comes: A Ghost Story

Image of The Ghost Next Door: True Stories of Paranormal Encounters from Everyday People

The Ghost Next Door: True Stories of Paranormal Encounters from Everyday People

Image of The Oxford Book of Victorian Ghost Stories

The Oxford Book of Victorian Ghost Stories

Image of Classic Ghost Stories: Eighteen Spine-Chilling Tales of Terror and the Supernatural

Classic Ghost Stories: Eighteen Spine-Chilling Tales of Terror and the Supernatural

Image of The Best Ghost Stories Ever (Scholastic Classics)

The Best Ghost Stories Ever (Scholastic Classics)

Image of The Mammoth Book of Modern Ghost Stories

The Mammoth Book of Modern Ghost Stories

Image of This House: The True Story of a Girl and a Ghost

This House: The True Story of a Girl and a Ghost

Tags: Cemeteries, Richwood, West Virginia

Do you like to talk about the paranormal world?

Check out our paranormal forum at www.TalkParanormal.com

Comments are closed.

Cool Movies

Image of Tangled


Image of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1

Image of Megamind (Single-Disc Edition)

Megamind (Single-Disc Edition)

Image of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader [Blu-ray]

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader [Blu-ray]

Popular Pages

More Info